What is a resident and what is a residency program?
- Resident physicians are new doctors who are training in a chosen specialty. A resident physician has already completed medical school and may be an MD or DO.
- Dermatology residents train for 3 years after completing medical school and an internship year, and must pass their dermatology board certification exam before practicing medicine on their own as a board certified Dermatologist.
- Advanced Dermatology’s residency program is provided through a partnership with the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine and Lakeland Health.
- Currently there are only 27 osteopathic dermatology residency programs in the United States and 119 residents selected for these programs every year.
- Residents may be included as part of your direct care team at Advanced Dermatology – please see our nursing staff if you have questions about our residents
- To learn more about Advanced Dermatology's residents, read below.
Ryan Jones, D.O., Second Year Resident
Dr. Jones is a second year resident at Advanced Dermatology, training under Michigan State University’s Statewide Campus System and Lakeland Health. He grew up in Southwest Michigan where he attended Mattawan High School. He then attended Western Michigan University’s Lee Honors College for his undergraduate studies, earning a bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Biomedical Sciences with minors in Chemistry and Philosophy. After college he attended Michigan State University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine where he was active in University Medical Student leadership and many volunteer opportunities, including work the with local food banks and the Special Olympics. In 2015 he obtained his Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.). After finishing Medical School Dr. Jones completed his Internship at St. John Providence Hospital in Southfield, MI in the Metro Detroit area prior to starting his Dermatology Residency here in Saint Joseph at Advanced Dermatology. Dr. Jones has authored and presented several medical journal articles and continues to be active in research. His current interests include complex medical, surgical, and cosmetic Dermatology. Outside of Dermatology Dr. Jones and his wife Jenna live in St. Joseph and enjoy the outdoors, attending sporting events, traveling to Northern Michigan, and spending time with family/friends. Dr. Jones is thrilled to have the opportunity to return to Southwest Michigan and provide quality Dermatologic care to his neighbors and friends while working with the staff at Advanced Dermatology.